JazzBlog

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Thelonious Monk

(Requested by ing)
[NOTE: The second post in the Musical Theory series of posts is below]


Link (Thelonious Monk website):
http://thelonious-monk.com/

Name: Thelonious Sphere Monk
Born: October 10, 1917
Died: February 17, 1982
Instrument: Piano

Early Monk:
There isn't much known about Monk's childhood, except he was born in North Carolina, starting playing piano at age six, and moved to Manhattan with his family in 1930. There, Monk's first gig was making rounds as an organist, backing an evangelical preacher. He got a house gig at Minton's Playhouse, which is where he would cement his unique improvisational style, hard-swing. Influences of Monk include Art Tatum, Duke Ellington, James Johnson, and many other early stride pianists. He released his first LP as leader, Genius of Modern Music Vol. 1, in 1947.

Monk vs. "The Man":
Monk had many run-ins with the police during his career, much like every other working black musician in New York at the time.

One such incident was in August 1951, when the New York police searched a parked car occupied by Monk and his friend Bud Powell. As was typical of the time, they found narcotics in the car, which they believed belonged to Powell. Monk refused to testify against his friend, and his Cabaret Card was confiscated. The Cabaret Card was a license, at the time, for a musician to play in a venue where liquor was sold. Without this card, Monk's gig options were severly limited. He spent most of this time playing theatre gigs, out of town, composing and recording.

A second incident was in 1958, when Monk and Baroness Pannonica de Koenigswarter, a wealthy patron of several Jazz musicians of that era, were arrested and detained in Delaware. When monk once again refused to cooperate with the police, he was beaten with a blackjack. The police were authorized to search the vehicle, and once again found narcotics. It is unknown if these, and the narcotics found in 1951, actually belonged to Monk and his companions, or if they were planted by the police. Judge Christie of the Delaware Superior Court ruled that the detention of the pair and beating of Monk was unlawful and rendered the consent to the search void, as it was given under duress.


Monk's Work:
Monk recorded with Blue Note Records in the period from 1946-1952, Prestige Records 1952-54, and signed with Riverside Records following that. Monk's work was highly respected by other professionals in the music trade, but was difficult for record companies to market to the public. Monk's first record with Riverside was Thenlonius Monk Plays Duke Ellington which made him more accessible. Following this, he was requested to put out one more cover album before he released Brilliant Corners in 1956, his first LP of all original Monk material. Monk appeared on the cover of Time magazine in 1964, and was signed to Columbia records about this same time. After Monk died in 1982, his music gained a wider audience and he eventually became a Jazz icon. Clint Eastwood made a documantary, Straight, No Chaser, about Monk's life and work in 1989.


Possible Illness and Death:
During the early 1970's, Monk disappeared from the Jazz scene. His last recording was completed in November 1971, and it was said that during this time Thelonious became an extreme introvert. He could go entire tours without talking to anyone. Occasionally, he would stop playing, stand up, and dance while the band continued without him. His playing style was highly unusual, syncopated, and percussive. He was hospitalized several times for mental illness, and although the diagnosis is not known, guesses include bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Symptoms that Monk exhibited would later be seen in Syd Barrett, of Pink Floyd fame. It is unknown whether this was a serious mental disorder, or if Monk was simply "ahead of his time".

Recommended Monk Listening:
- Thelonious Monk And John Coltrane
Fantasy OJC-039
Wilbur Ware, Shadow Wilson, Art Blakey

- Thelonious Monk, Tokyo Concerts
Columbia 38510
Charlie Rouse, Butch Warren, Frankie Dunlop
*listen to the quirky solo on I'm Getting Sentimental Over You

- The Complete Blue Note Recording of Thelonious Monk
Mozaic 101
Four LP set covering from 1947-1957

[Link Removed, File Available Upon Request]


8 Comments:

  • Yay! I'll play Monk next Friday, okay? And I'll check out the hard theory stuff when I'm rested and focused.

    By Blogger ing, at Sun Dec 25, 02:18:00 AM MST  

  • Monk's the Man. Also, Dizzy, Miles, Mose, Charlie P,... I love Paco de Lucia and was just listening to Oregon and Steps earlier. And then there's Ella, Sarah, Billie, Esther P...

    I had to put on some jazz just visiting this blog.

    Hope all your wishes come true in the New Year!

    Peace
    oxo Seychelle

    By Blogger whatever, at Sun Dec 25, 02:40:00 AM MST  

  • Thank you very much. Very timely, since Thelonius Monk is the next one I'm going to check out. To that effect, thanks for the recommendations.

    Speaking of his recordings, have you acquired that new Blue Note release, Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltrane live at Carnegie Hall, out this very year? If so, I'd be interested in hearing if it's one to get. Looked very interesting.

    By Blogger E.L. Wisty, at Sun Dec 25, 08:32:00 AM MST  

  • Merry Christmas, Jack, and may the new year be brilliant and bright - I can see that happening for some.

    May next year also be entertaining, for if not, what can I tell you - BORING! And another year can slip by.

    Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, used to be my motto. I finally learned to slow down, but it's too late for me now - the years are gone gone and gone. Snap, just like that. So, for 2006 the goal will be to, like, plan ahead eh? but live for the moment.

    If I were you - and maybe you are already in the practice of doing this - I would make a pledge to yourself to live and remember 2006 moment by moment because you will never pass by this way again. (I think that's a safe bet)

    It really is a bitch trying to live the moment, when you just know that tomorrow will offer bigger and better things. And the day after that, and then the next day, and oh, it's all going to be so grand some day and I can hardly wait. And another day slips by. Don't fall into this trap.

    I realized on the day I turned 30 years of age, that 10 years seemed to have slipped me by. They just slipped by me. I had memories of course, hell, one memory was only a day old, others stretched back a number of years, 10 to be complete. Some thoughts give you the quivers, some thoughts do other things, but nevertheless, ten years of thought got stashed in my anxious brain.

    I thought, okay, I'll give those 10 years up and look forward to the tranquil 30s. Wrong - just as anxious as ever. I want everything now, but I also want 3 years to go by like now! Where is the logic in that? I'll be in great shape when this car is paid for. The car got paid for and I remember thinking - Another three years has gone by - what am I doing, wishing my life away? So anyway to wrap up the 30's they're every bit as anxious as hell.

    The Fab 40's - content at last, but not for long. You get the first 30 minutes on day one and then you go into a state of anxiety that lasts until you're 51!

    I'll keep you posted during my search for tranquility. I'm sure it's just around the corner.


    Tommy D

    By Blogger Tommy DisCool, at Sun Dec 25, 09:39:00 PM MST  

  • You RULE! Thanks for being my knight.

    xoxo

    By Blogger ing, at Wed Dec 28, 11:41:00 PM MST  

  • Eeeek, I didn't know that's how he ended up, though I have listened to him.
    I had a cassette tape, "Straight, no chaser" that I used to listen to.
    That's sad. I wonder if he was a lower stage functioning schizophrenic?
    Sounds like it.

    By Blogger Nabonidus, at Thu Dec 29, 01:27:00 PM MST  

  • ing,

    You are very welcome!

    nabonidus,

    It is quite possible. :)

    Jack

    By Blogger Rose, at Thu Dec 29, 02:15:00 PM MST  

  • I was just flipping through this book called Songs in the Key of Z, which is about "outsider music" -- bands such as The Shaggs (here's their sad, sad story), and performers like Tiny Tim and Daniel Johnston (who suffers from mental illness, like Thelonius Monk may have. Oh, yeah, and Daniel Johnston writes great love songs.).

    Anyway, my point is that Thelonius Monk was very much an outsider in his time, at least according to what I read. Some said he was a genius, and others said he was crazy.

    I vote genius.

    By Blogger ing, at Fri Dec 30, 12:36:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home