JazzBlog

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Musical Theory II

Minor keys and their relative majors

Last week we finished with the list of sharps and flats for each respective major key. The major key is the most common of modes, and produces a pleasant sounding, happy result. The second most common of the modes is the minor key, which tends to produce a sad or melancholy result.

The natural minor of any key starts on the 6th note of the relative major scale, keeping the original key signature of the key. For example, the key of A minor would have the relateive major of C (as A is the sixth note of the C major scale). This means that an A natural minor scale would be to play the notes from A to A, with not sharps or flats. Now we know that the key of A major has three sharps, F#, C#, G#. Those of you familiar with the sound of major scales will probably feel like there are "wrong notes" being played in this scale. It just takes a little getting used to.

We didn't call a major key a "natural major" key, so why refer to the minor as natural minor? Because the natural minor of a key is the theoretical minor. In practice there are two played minors, the harmonic and the melodic. The natural minor is the basis for both of these minor scales.

The harmonic minor is the same as the natural minor with the exception of the seventh note, which is raised by one semitone. In our example of A minor, this would have G go to G#, as it would be in A major. The result is a slightly Middle Easern, or Egyptian sounding scale. The harmonic minor scale is the same ascending as descending, much like all of the other scales we have dealt with so far. The melodic minor is slightly different. Ascending, the melodic minor is based on the notes from the natural minor with the sixth and seventh notes raised a semitone. In our example of A minor, this would have F# and G#, resulting in on the the third (C#) being indicative of the minor key. Descending, the natural minor is played.

The above wheel is a circle of fifths. The concept of the circle of fifths is an easy one, the next key starts on the 5th note of the previous key. This circle has both the major and minor keys, as well as the key signatures listed. The circle of fifths will be revisited later as related to chord progressions.

Next week we will cover the modes, in both the Church (Gregorian) and Greek names.

6 Comments:

  • The minor key -- goes with Mr. Monk's profile, doesn't it?

    ---

    I've been to a minor place
    And I can say I like it's face
    If I am gone and with no trace
    I will be in a minor place

    O it's not a desert nor a web
    Nor a tomb where I lay dead
    Minor in a sound alone
    Yes a clear commanding tone

    Singing from my little point
    And aching in my every joint
    I thank the world it will anoint me
    If I show it how I hold it

    -Will Oldham

    By Blogger ing, at Fri Dec 30, 02:42:00 PM MST  

  • Ooh, someone else who likes Will Oldham!

    By Blogger E.L. Wisty, at Sat Dec 31, 10:01:00 AM MST  

  • I KNEW the minor chords were sad! No
    one ever told me that, I just knew from my own hearing. So
    it really is nice to find out that a lot of this stuff, once translated, is stuff that I understand.
    I understand about the other chords, too. I love it when occasionally a musician will play something all in those "off" notes, and yet it will sound so right! Not everyone can do that. Take all those offs and make them sound on. :)

    By Blogger Nabonidus, at Sun Jan 01, 12:56:00 PM MST  

  • Hmm...I'm trying to come up with the proper words to describe what I meant.
    I think I like it when someone plays in the " Natural minor" or "harmonic minor". Where all the notes sound off but on at the same time.

    By Blogger Nabonidus, at Sun Jan 01, 01:07:00 PM MST  

  • One more: Did you pick Theolonius to jive with this weeks chapter? Or was it just coincidence?
    Becuase I'd swear Theolonius is a great example of someone who plays these and makes them sound right!

    By Blogger Nabonidus, at Sun Jan 01, 01:13:00 PM MST  

  • nabonidus,

    I'd like to say it was all very well planned, but it actually just worked out that way. Monk was requested by ing just after E.L. requested Miles. I take requests... but I'm gonna keep on blogging anyways.

    *bah-dum-cha!*

    Tonight is going to be Ella and modes. Is there a connection?

    Jack

    By Blogger Rose, at Sun Jan 01, 02:03:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home